Though not an eye-popping total, James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 still managed to top the box office charts in its debut frame, earning $114 million domestic and $282M globally, per Deadline. According to the trade, the good news is that Guardians fared well throughout the weekend, dipping 20% on Saturday to score $38M, which bodes well for its long-term potential.
Comparatively, Guardians Vol. 2 opened to $146.5M in 2017, while the original leaped to $94M in 2014. Of course, the MCU was firing on all cylinders in 2017, so it’s best not to read too much into the considerable dip. It is fair to wonder how long we can continue brushing off diminishing box office returns.
The Super Mario Bros. Movie, meanwhile, continue to soar. Universal/Illumination’s massive hit grossed another $18.6M to raise its domestic total to $518.1M. Worldwide, the peak crossed the billion-dollar mark and shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.
Elsewhere, Evil Dead Rise became the highest-grossing film in the Evil Dead franchise. The pic has earned $54.1M after three weeks of release. Lionsgate’s Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret made $3.38M (-50%) in its sophomore frame, raising its total to $12.6M.
Box Office Results: Top 10 Domestic
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (Dis) 4,450 theaters, Fri $48.2M, Sat $38.8M, Sun $27M 3-day $114M/Wk 1
- The Super Mario Bros Movie (Uni/Ill) 3,909 (-295) theaters, Fri $4.2M (-53%), Sat $8.2M Sun $6.1M 3-day $18.6M (-54%), Total $518.1M/Wk 5
- Evil Dead Rise (WB) 3,036 (-381) theaters, Fri $1.68M, Sat $2.5M Sun $1.5M 3-day $5.73M (-53%), Total $54.1M/Wk 3
- Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret (LG) 3,343 theaters, Fri $866k (-61%), Sat $1.3M, Sun $1.1M 3-day $3.38M (-50%), Total $12.6M/Wk 2
- love again (Sony) 2,703 theaters, Fri $955KSat $865KSun $605K Sun 3-day $2.4M/Wk 1
- John Wick: Chapter 4 (LG) 1,658 (-823) theaters, Fri $593K (-51%), Sat $1M Sun $736K 3-day $2.35M (-52%), Total $180M/Wk 7
- Dungeons & Dragons (Par) 1,751 (-958) theaters Fri $372K (-64%) Sat $670K Sun$473K 3-day $1.5M (-64%), Total $90.9M/Wk 6
- Air (AMZ) 1,632 (-770) theaters Fri $388k (-62%) Sat $610K Sun $397K 3 day $1.39M (-65%), Total $50.2M/Wk 5
- Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant (MGM) 1,807 (-824) theaters Fri $339K (-65%) Sat $519K Sun $363K 3-day $1.22M (-66%) Total $14.77M/Wk 3
- Sisu (LG) 1,006 theaters, Fri $300K (-78%) Sat $448K Sun $335K 3-day $1.08M (-67%) Total $5.5M/Wk 2