James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 box office results continue their strong run domestically, dipping just 49% for a $60.5M sophomore frame. Per Deadline, that’s the second-best hold for an MCU feature post-pandemic. Domestically, Gunn’s movie has taken in $213M. Worldwide, the peak starring Chris Pratt has accrued a staggering $528.8M.
For what it’s worth, Guardians has already surpassed the lifetime gross of Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Shang-Chi, Eternals, and Black Widow.
Meanwhile, Pratt’s other blockbuster, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, blasted past $1.21B globally. Domestically, the animated hit has reached $535.9M. Currently, the Illumination and Universal pic sits at No. 24 on the all-time worldwide chart, just behind Iron Man 3, and has crept up to No. 17 on the all-time domestic chart behind Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and The Dark Knight.
Three new releases failed to make much noise. Book Club: Next Chapter finished third with $6.5M in its debut frame, while Ben Affleck’s Hypnotic and IFC’s BlackBerry brought in $2.3M and $740K, respectively.
This week sees the release of Fast X, which should easily top the worldwide box office. Summer’s almost here, folks!
Box Office Results (5/14/23):
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (Dis) 4,450 theaters, Fri $15.7M (-67%) Sat $26.3M Sun $18.5M 3-day $60.5M (-49%), Overall $213.2M/Wk 2
- Super Mario Bros Movie (Ill/Uni) 3,800 (-109) theaters, Fri $2.99M (-30%) Sat $5.59M Sun $4.4M 3-day $13M (-30%), Total $535.9M/Wk 6
- Book Club: Next Chapter (Foc) 3,508 theaters Fri $2.1M Sat $2M Sun $2.35M 3-day $6.5M/Wk 1
- Evil Dead Rise (NL) 2,821 (-215) theaters, Fri $1.1M (-35%) Sat $1.6M Sun $978K 3-day $3.7M (-37%) Overall $60.1M/Wk 4
- Are There God? It’s Me Margaret (LG) 2,359 (-984) theaters, Fri $508K (-43%), Sat $906.6K Sun $1.08M 3 day $2.5M (-22%) Overall $16.4M/Wk 3
- Hypnotic (Ketch) 2,118 theaters, Fri $940K3-day $2.3M/Wk 1
- John Wick: Chapter 4 (LG) 1,613 (-45) theaters, Fri $478K (-20%), Sat $876K, Sun $570K 3-day $1.93M (-21%), Overall $182.9M/Wk 8
- love again (Sony) 2,703 theaters, Fri $385K (-60%) Sat $540K Sun $625K 3-day $1.55M (-35%) Overall $5M/Wk 2
- Air (Amazon) 1,210 (-422) theaters, Fri $223k (-42%), Sat $343K Sun $309K 3-day $875K (-37%), Overall $51.7M/Wk 6
- Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (By/eOne) 934 (-817) theaters, Fri $212K Sat $331K Sun $197K 3-day $740K (-45%), Overall $92.1M/Wk 7
- BlackBerry (IFC) 450 theaters Friday $473K, 3-day $740K/Wk 1